The Mantras of an Insomniac
“Ain’t no rest for the wicked” by Cage the Elephants could be my theme song as a long time insomniac. I’ve spent many restless nights pacing the hallway, browsing B rated horror movies on Netflix and scrolling endlessly through social media trying to bore myself to sleep. It can be a rude awakening come 6 a.m. when the kids wake up ready to rock-n-roll.
I’ve tried meditation music and sleep apps, but none have been as successful as I had hoped. I’ve spent many nights frustrated, lying awake in bed with pacing thoughts, saying to myself over and over again “just f’ing sleep already!”
Apparently, I am not alone!
According to The Sleep Foundation, 35.2% of all adults in the US report sleeping less than seven hours per night. Another interesting statistic, women have a lifetime risk of insomnia that is as much as 40% higher than that of men.
I’m not a fan of over the counter sleep aids or heavy pharmaceuticals, so I needed to find a more natural remedy to help with my insomnia. Fortunately for me, working in the cannabis industry led me down the rabbit hole of natural sleep remedies. The scientific research on cannabinol (aka CBN) has provided promising data that an insomniac like myself, cannot ignore.
CBN is a cannabinoid found in the cannabis and hemp plant, that offers relaxing and mildly sedative effects. Studies indicate that CBN is also beneficial for reducing anxiety, easing muscle tension, even reducing pain. Some studies suggest CBN may even be more successful in reducing pain than CBD! All this info made me hopeful this could lead to a more restful, deep sleep. No more waking up in the middle of the night!
After reading several studies, I tested this out for myself. I tried almost every CBN product we had in both our stores. Here are the top 5 products that worked wonders for me:
- CBN/THC Doozies by Green Revolution: Vegan and gluten free, these tasty little treats by Green Revolution, offer the heaviest dose of sedation with an Indica 2:1 combination of THC/CBN. It takes anywhere from 30-60 minutes to kick in, but once it does, there is no way I can stay awake for another minute. Heavy head, heavy eyes and a nice heavy deep sleep are a guarantee.
- The Beauty Sleep Tincture by Green Revolution: This fast acting, water soluble tincture offers a quick dose of serenity with just a few drops under the tongue. Easy to use with a response time sometimes under 20 minutes, I can easily plan ahead for bed, and rest easy knowing that I will in fact, rest easy.
- CBN/CBD Tincture by CBDistillery: One of the first CBD products I ever tried was by CBDistillery. A company based in Colorado, their products have always been a reliable source of relief. Their CBN/CBD Tincture is flavorless, fast acting and is consistent in providing a restful nights sleep without any groggy day after effects.
- CBN Soft Gels by Healthy Roots: A fast growing woman owned business, Healthy Roots has been gaining popularity with their amazing line of CBD products. One of their newest products are their 10mg Full Spectrum CBN Soft Gel Night Caps. A perfect dose of zzz’s, every person I’ve recommended these capsules too have only come back for more. Rave reviews by some well rested customers!
- Elderberry CBN Gummies by Wyld: Flavored with real elderberry juice, these infused gummies offer both the benefits of CBN, but also an immune boost elderberries are best known for. A natural and flavorful way to ease into a good nights sleep, these Wyld gummies are a customers favorite and are hard to keep in stock!