Holiday Blues: Finding Relief for Seasonal Depression
The holiday season is upon us, with Christmas songs suddenly ringing in the air, every store festively decorated and people buzzing about, preparing for the big day. Crowds, lines, bright colors and twinkling lights; there seems to be that “holiday cheer” everywhere you turn. But are you feeling the holiday spirit?
For a lot of people, the holiday season can actually carry more stress, anxiety, depression and for various reasons, like stress at work, lack of money, lack of time, a dysfunctional family, the pressure to buy gifts, the pressure to entertain or even feeling lonely. If you haven’t been diagnosed with anxiety or depression, and you are feeling down right now you may be experiencing seasonal affective disorder (SAD), in which case you really do have a case of the “holiday blues”. You’re not alone!
In August of 2019, we sent a survey to our Canna West customers. We wanted to learn how and why our customers use marijuana and if it’s effective for their purposes. The feedback would be used to guide us in purchasing the right products.
A total of 445 Canna West customers participated in this anonymous survey and the results were telling! We learned how effective marijuana is for treating their anxiety, depression and even pain (reports suggest chronic pain can cause depression).
48% Suffer from Generalized Anxiety
41% Suffer from Depression
Of the 445 survey participants, when asked if they’ve been diagnosed or suffer from certain conditions, 48% responded to having generalized anxiety, 22% social anxiety and 41% are suffering from depression. Those are really high numbers!
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, major depression often accompanies anxiety disorders. While depression and anxiety have different symptoms, some of the symptoms often overlap. So we asked our customers if they take prescription drugs for treating their condition(s) and 30% responded Yes, 51% No, 7% said Sometimes, and 12% responded they use to, but don’t anymore.
When asked if they want to replace, combine or continue using prescription drugs to treat their condition, the response:
18% No longer use prescription drugs.
32% Only use marijuana or CBD products.
18% Plan to continue using prescriptions.
18% Want to combine their prescription with marijuana or CBD.
10% Want to replace their prescription with marijuana or CBD.
4% Not sure how they want to treat their condition.
Diving deeper, we asked a few more questions “how often are you using marijuana or CBD and how effective is it”? The response: 24% Use several times a day. 21% use 2-3 times daily, 21% use once a day, 20% use a couple times a week, 10% use a couple times a month, and 4% only use CBD products.
The effectiveness of marijuana or CBD for treating their conditions? 46% responded “Very Effective”, 20% Mostly Effective, 17% Sometimes Effective, 4% weren’t sure if it was helping and less than 1% responded Barely Effective. Does this mean consumption of CBD or marijuana for depression or anxiety could be effective?
89% Experience Calming & Relaxation
73% Feel Happier or a Mood Boost
This is all really helpful information. Perhaps marijuana for depression could be beneficial, but to determine the best products to buy for our customers, we need to know what effects they’re experiencing.
What or how did they feel using marijuana?
60% Pain Relief
73% Happier/Mood Boost
24% Increased Energy
12% Increased Anxiety
2% Increased Depression
What did they feel when they consumed a CBD product?
60% Pain Relief
20% Happier/Mood Boost
7% Increased Energy
<1% Increased Anxiety
<1% Increased Depression
In summary, the results of our survey told us that nearly half of the survey participants suffered from anxiety or depression. The good news was that marijuana consumption provided 89% with calming/relaxation and 73% felt happier. In addition, CBD consumption resulted with 63% experiencing calming/relaxation and 20% feeling happier. Those numbers look promising! Perhaps consuming CBD and marijuana for depression and anxiety could be beneficial!
Bye Bye Anxiety & Depression! Goodbye Holiday Blues!
Here are our Top 10 product recommendations to help you through the holiday season.
- Blueberry vape cartridge by Heylo. The strain contains the cannabinoids CBG and CBC, which research suggests offers potential medicinal relief, including mood regulation. You can also try Heylo’s Truthband vape oil which is rich with rare terpenes and CBG.
- Blackberry by Washington Bud Company. Available in full flower or in pre-rolls, this indica is very calming, offering full body relaxation and a meditative headspace.
- Purple Trainwreck wax by Lazy Bee Gardens; Rich with terpenes and contains 2.1% CBG.
- Shape Shifter vape cartridge by Pearl Extracts. This potent oil contains 6.3% CBG which is a really high percentage compared to the average concentrate.
- Tropicana Punch by Sky High Gardens. A gorgeous dense flower, this sativa hybrid is calming, creative and provides a boost of positive energy.
- “Relax” Calming Bath Salts by Ceres. Infuse your bath with THC and lavender, and melt into a full body sense of ease.
- Kush Queen CBD Bath Bombs at our Culture Shop have zero THC but are rich with CBD and organic essential oils.
- 1:1 THC CBD Caramels by CPC. Classic vintage flavor that gradually climbs through every limb and softens tense muscles, winding down to a peaceful full body sensation. Check out the CPC capsules at our Culture Shop too!
- “Happiest Self” Spray Tincture and the Fast Tabs by Green Revolution is discrete, easy to use and rich with mood boosting CBG.
- The non-intoxicating high CBG Tincture by Thought Cloud sold at our Culture Shop. There is a lot of promising research showing a variety of potential medicinal benefits of CBG, including regulating mood.
Disclaimer: If you suffer from anxiety or depression it is important to speak with a doctor about your symptoms and best treatment plans. If you’re feeling like there is no hope or feeling suicidal, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Hotline now at 1-800-273-8255. You are not alone.